You should always make sure you are wearing proper footwear for whichever activity you are about to engage in. Hiker Marci Hansen recalls her experience going hiking with a friend: “I would step on a wet root and it was not even a thing, and she would really slip and fall.” She explains that the difference between her friend and herself is that she came prepared with the right shoes required to go hiking. The cause of her friend’s injuries was the fact that she wore shoes that were not made to endure the wet and uneven surfaces. If you are planning on going hiking, tread is one of the most important things you should look for when shoe shopping. Shoes that are sturdy enough to go hiking will help protect you from injuries that can easily be avoided.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of Livingston Foot Care Specialists. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
– One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
– Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
– Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
– Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
– Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
– Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
– Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in North Bellmore, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.