Some foot conditions occur around the same amount of times or more often for children than they do for adults. There are a few complications to look out for in children. The first is ingrown toenails. Since children commonly experience growth spurts, they occasionally end up wearing shoes that are too tight. Ill-fitting shoes contribute to the emergence of ingrown toenails. Another affliction is plantar warts. These are lesions that form on the bottom of the foot. It is possible that many children do not yet have the immunity to warts that adults do. Guardians should also take note if their children have flat feet. Although many children outgrow their flat feet, it can cause them future pain. Finally, be sure to ask children about any heel pain. There are various conditions around the heel that may be sparked by a growth spurt. If your child is complaining of any type of foot or ankle pain, it is recommended that you contact a podiatrist.
<!–><!––><!––>The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact one of our podiatrists of Livingston Foot Care Specialists. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- <!––>Make sure their shoes fit properly
- <!––>Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- <!––>Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- <!––><!––>Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- <!––>Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- <!––>Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- <!––>Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- <!––>Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in North Bellmore, NY. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.